Paying for Performance? When to Just Say “No”

Posted by Chad Albrecht on Thu, Feb 27, 2014

For most decisions in life, it’s usually easier to say “yes” than “no.” But often you have to say “no” to something in the interest of saying “yes” to something else. For example, to spend more time with your family, you might have to say “no” to more volunteer work.

Likewise, everybody wants to pay the best performers more money. Doing so drives higher performance, makes the high performers feel valued and ensures they have no financial reason to go elsewhere. Everyone wants to say “yes” to paying high performers great money.

>
Read More

Rank Plan Revisited: Can Internal Competition Lead to a Chain of Success?

Posted by Mike Martin on Wed, Feb 19, 2014

About a year ago, I wrote a blog post – “Why Rank Plans Can Bring Out the Best – and Worst – in Your Sales Force” – about the risks of internal competition that can result from a rank plan.  I still believe that risk exists, especially with smaller sales forces where helping a handful of people could have a significant impact on your rank spot.  However, from my recent conversations with sales leaders, I have heard some compelling arguments for “selective competition.”

>
Read More

What’s Your Sales Compensation New Year’s Resolution?

Posted by Mike Martin on Fri, Jan 17, 2014

This year, my wife and I made a New Year’s resolution to eliminate the clutter in our house. I do not consider us to be messy people. I think we just have too many little things and no place to put them.

I find a similar feeling occurs with some companies as they kickoff their 2014 incentive plan.

>
Read More

Is Your Sales Compensation Program Effective? Depends on Your Definition!

Posted by Steve Marley on Thu, Dec 19, 2013

When meeting new fellow sales compensation practitioners and clients, one of the first things I do is ensure we are all speaking the same language. That is, that we’re using the same words to describe the same things. One of the most common set of words to clarify is “quotas,” “goals” and “objectives.” In some companies, an objective is the salesperson’s individual quota, while in other companies an objective is used to describe something more akin to an MBO. Fortunately, these three terms can be reasonably easily interchanged with minimal confusion.

However, in preparation for 2014, I was working with a new client and asking some questions about what they would like to accomplish with their sales comp program. One of the sales leaders said, “Our plan needs to be more effective!”

>
Read More